Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Dredge

One of the few shining lights in the grim, hamster-wheel professional/ social-obligation darkness that is the October – December period is The Dredge, otherwise known as the Great Lakes Dredge and Philharmonic Society (don’t ask …).  It’s a male voice choir, celebrating its 75th Anniversary this year, which is rooted in this part of Chicago.  It forms up every October and rehearses a repertoire of Christmas carols, which we then perform in hospitals, retirement communities and other venues throughout December.

I love it.  Unabashedly.  I admit that, when invited to join, I at first approached it with some caution:  (a) never having sung in a choir before;  and (b) being a perfectionist, I wasn’t at all sure I’d be ‘good enough’.  Now: who cares?!

Tonight was great:  I hosted the last rehearsal of the year at home;  and Tony took some photos and video.  If I manage to work out how to post a snippet of video, I’ll do so … but in the meantime you’ll just need to make do with a (silent) still …

[Via http://softedges.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment