Thursday, October 1, 2009

So Many Houstons in the World

When people find out I work for a travel company, they sometimes start the “where do you want to go next” conversation. My stock reply is that there’s nowhere on earth that I don’t want to go (although obviously there are some places I’d prefer to avoid so long as they’re dangerous or what have you), and for the most part that’s true. But yes, there are places I’d like to go more than others. There are places I could probably go without seeing my whole life. And there are still more I’ll miss out on seeing just because there’s never enough time.

In all honesty, although Houston doesn’t fall into the first of those categories, I’m not sure whether it ought to go into the 2nd or the 3rd one.

As far as Texas goes, the only city I’ve ever been interested in visiting is Austin, with its pro-weirdness agenda and emphasis on local music. A friend of mine recently moved to Dallas, so I’ve started thinking about paying her a visit. But Houston? It’s never occurred to me as a vacation spot.

To be fair to Houston, I really don’t know much about it – and there are plenty of places around the world about which I know very little and which I’m sure I’d end up loving if I visited. So Houston could be one of those places. But I’m not terribly motivated to go looking for cheap flights to Houston without some kind of “reason” to go in the first place. As yet, the existence of discount air tickets isn’t reason enough to plan a trip, it seems.

With a big international airport right in Houston, it’s definitely a city that’s easy to get to. With the number of big companies that are located in the area, it’s also a city with lots of choice in the accommodation and dining departments. But again, so far I’m still at a point in my life when I need a reason to do things like start browsing through hotels in Houston, rather than just planning a trip to a city because I haven’t been there before and seeing what I can find when I get there.

And it’s not just Houston that I could say these things about, either. There are lots of Houstons in the world – and many of them I’ll probably never see or even hear of. Since that kind of list, a list of the places I’ll never see, could be depressing, I think I’ll try to focus instead on the places I will see.

And hey, if you’ve got a reason I should look into a trip to Houston, I’m all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment