Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Welcome to my Foodie blog!

For years I have been devoted to the exploration of different foods and their uses. I have worked in Restaurants from the Mid-West, the South, Canada, and now I can add the New England states to my long  list of accomplishments.

I will be adding recipes, secrets,information about restaurants, tips, and more as I find them or can remember them. LOL, trust me when I say remember since my memory sucks. 

I can remember being 8 or so years old, asking my daddy for money and him telling me to go buss a table if I wanted to earn something. From there I moved into the kitchen and got to play with vegetables. I was hooked! I wanted to know what everything tasted like, how it was grown, where it came from, and how it got to where it was at the stage it was in. I can remember this massive machine in a corner, I came to find out later it was a Hobart Mixer. That baby would spin for hours; whipping cream, mixing dough for biscuits, smashing the potatoes for the mashed taters. I was hooked! Did I say that twice? LOL. I sure did!

I got to watch Joan, our prep cook put together the most amazing items. She could whip up soups with such zest I would wonder what she was doing. Here I thought everything came from a bag. LOL. She would plop this amazing sticky white mess from the mixer, roll it out with this stick, then moving very fast make as many disks as she could. Hell I though that was the coolest! After she threw them on a baking sheet and stuck them into the oven, I was the one being scolded for running over to open the oven door, because damn it I wanted to see what they did. LOL. Afterward Joan would pull them out, lift one off, slather it with butter and hand it to me for the first bite. OH Boy was it yummy as the butter ran down my cheeks and chin.

Then came the freezers, walk-ins, and the pantry. I could stand at the opening of each one, staring in amazement at all the different foods. I was in heaven! I would touch the different meats trying to figure out what was in this box or that box, touch and feel every piece of fruit and vegetable, smelling all the different cheeses. I was in a different kind of toy store. LOL. Later I would figure out it was my kind of toy store.

More tomorrow as I share my journey to the unknown hot grills. LOL

Live to cook another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment