Saturday, September 26, 2009

Why I miss Chicago (Part 1 of many)

 

                               

It’s been almost a month since I’ve left Chicago (I was a grad student at Northwestern University in nearby Evanston). It’s a great place and I had a great time there. From time to time, I’ll share my thoughts about Chicago’s people and neighborhoods, from Humboldt Park to the Englewood neighborhood in the city’s South Side.

Sweet Home Chicago: the Pilsen neighborhood

                             

For some Chicagoans, Pilsen is just another neighborhood, home to some of the city’s Hispanic residents. But for others, Pilsen is known for the numerous murals and paintings scattered around the area. They’re everywhere: on homes, schools, even the mass transit stations.

A few muralists live in Pilsen, attracted by the art throughout the neighborhood. And some, such as Mexican native Hector Duarte, are also immigrants, hoping to express their creativity and vision in their new home.

Back in June, I profiled some of Duarte’s art, and the messages behind them, in a video slideshow for the Medill School of Journalism’s project on immigration in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment